Thursday, October 8, 2009

WOAH FOCUS

The cat whose vomit I just cleaned up is now being MsCuddlecakes. It's sweet, I'm glad she's feeling better, but it's kinda gross all the same.

I tried the Adderall today. I ended up cutting the pill in half since I've never had anything like it before. I feel uncomfortably like flying, like my blood pressure is a little off or whatever, and like I'm breathing much deeper than usual. I've also:
1) gone through Brownie's writing sample for his job applications, which is 23 pages of an argument about Bacon and Donne and which I finally, for the first time, feel like I was paying enough attention to grasp fully and thus to comment effectively
2) written a letter of recommendation
3) given my class a huge list of paper topics
4) forgotten lunch because I was concentrating on the first task I mentioned, remembered lunch at 4 and finally ate
5) cleaned up cat puke :
6) worked on my NaNo outline

All of this since I got back from a meeting at about 1:15. My normal afternoon would have involved getting through about half of number one, giving it up as a bad job, forgetting about number two completely, waffled about even bothering with number three, would not have even begun to forget number four, would have done number five anyway because it needs to be done, and would have considered six but wouldn't have actually typed anything out. If it weren't starting to get dark out and if Brownie weren't on his way home with pizza, I'd be going on a run right now.

On the whole, I feel like my brain is working as fast as it usually does, but only on one track as opposed to having 6-10 going simultaneously. If the rest of me would settle down, I think I would like this stuff, at least on days when I have a ton that HAS to get done. Honestly, I prefer my crazy jumping-around butterfly brain - I'm comfortable with it and I feel like the random jumps and constant mental chatter make me more creative than I've felt like I've been today. I think the Adderall makes my brain work like other people think it should, rather than how it actually does. Like I've just been 'normalized' or something. I'll have to process that more later, I think.

Anyway, none of this should be construed as a "this drug is awesome go get some" type thing, and I feel like I should reiterate that I have this because I have a prescription for it and the diagnosis of the "disease?" "condition?" it "treats?" (maybe "affects").

It strikes me that I should write about the pros/cons of ADHD (as it affects me, anyway - there are different forms of adult ADHD and I can only talk about the experience I've had with mine). But that will have to wait until after pizza, which just arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment