Sunday, October 25, 2009

15 minutes

I hate how I often think "ooo, I should blog about _______" when I'm not near my computer and then go completely blank when I am sitting at my computer and able to type away. This is probably part of the reason behind my lack of blog posts (beyond teh lazy). So in an effort to get myself back to writing at least as often as I was over the summer, I'm enforcing a 15 minute a day blog session every day this week. We'll see if I come up with anything worth pontificating about.

I had a cold or sinus infection type deal a week and a half ago while I was in Kansas and while I've finally gotten over it to the point that I was able to go out on a run yesterday, I still keep feeling moments of too-tired or really weak or whatever which tend to come in waves and which for some reason have been throwing me into mild panic attacks. I'm sure I'm probably still getting over the illness to a degree or whatever, but I could do without the accompanying "what if I pass out and break my head" panics that come with it. I suppose what I'm really saying is that I'm more tired than I think I should be and that I'd like for the panic attacks to FOAD.

I'm teaching Brave New World this week. I usually enjoy teaching it, but my class last year thought the whole dystopic society in the novel sounded a) roughly like what we're headed toward and b) excellent. The biggest issue for them was that Bernard was "an emo whiner" and that they didn't see why there should be any sort of glorification of emotion when that gets in the way of getting stuff done. This is so antithetical to my general state of mind (i.e., the point of sadness or emotion is to work with it and learn from it) that I was genuinely shocked into not knowing what to do or say. I'm trying to come up with responses to this general sort of sentiment in case I encounter it with this class tomorrow or any other point during the week. So far I'm not getting very far with this. One of the reasons I feel like maybe I shouldn't be a teacher when it comes down to it is that when they express things that take me completely off guard, I feel like it takes me too long to recover - I don't want to quash their ideas entirely, and I don't want to come across as though I think my stance on an issue is the only valid one, but I really ought to be better at challenging them into a deeper train of thought than I am - aka me sitting there flabbergasted doesn't bode well for my ability to help lead them into a better understanding of anything. At the same time, if I'm sitting there absolutely flabbergasted by what someone has just said and what many others are agreeing with, chances are someone else in the room is just as shocked as I am but less willing to say anything about it. So maybe I should express the shock. Or maybe I should take a bath and think through how to deal with this so that I can express something more productive than shock.

I wonder what the hell type of job I'll have in a year. I hope I *have* a job in a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment