Sunday, May 23, 2010

omg tvtropes WHY

ARGHH.

I somehow just managed to waste something on the order of 6+ total hours today reading tvtropes.org. 

This is embarassing.  (Also I was warned, but that's irrelevant.  I really thought that when my brother told me not ever to go on that website ever because I would never read anything else again that he was kidding.  He wasn't kidding.)

My attempt at self-justification:
- it's an intelligent website: clever, funny, well-written and thoughtful
- it really is funny as hell (e.g., referring to a fantasy religion which bears a distinct resemblance to Christianity but which cannot use Jesus as its central figure due to being made up or whatnot as a Crystal Dragon Jesus)
- it covers all kinds of examples of particular tropes in action as it were
- it's one of the most hyperlink-happy sites I've ever seen, so that it's almost impossible to make it through an article without seeing 2-3 links worth clicking on (the Crystal Dragon Jesus article leads me to click on Dead Unicorn Trope, Power Crystal, and Messiah, among others).  The upshot is that by clicking on Dead Unicorn Trope, I then get another fun page with a clear description of the trope, plenty of examples, myriad hyperlinks, and an admonishment only to add an example if one is sure that it really an example - i.e., recognize the size of one's reference pool (Small Reference Pool then comes up, which was the next thing I clicked on)

Anyway, I'm way more click happy here than I've ever been on wikipedia (or really any wiki at all).  And I feel... not particularly thrilled with myself for it, even though it did make the Ritual Saturday Night SyFy Movie Fest with Brownie more entertaining ("look!  It's the First Girl!  She'll be the romantic interest...").

Tomorrow will have to include no tvtropes.  SRSLY.

It will, however, include Brownie's hooding ceremony.  So YAY for Brownie's hooding, and I should go to bed so that I'm functional enough to help railroad the 30-odd people that will be there for it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment