Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Love Note to Ugly Nail Polish

My nails are currently polished in OPI's Fiercely Fiona, a sort of color that can best be described as somewhere between the color of pollen coating a car and highlighter yellow a few ticks down on the grayscale.  It's, well, pretty hideous.  It's also noticeable.  Not blinding, just noticeable.  As in I keep seeing people look at my nails and then fail to mention them.  I find this deeply amusing.  It was an unholy streaky mess to apply, taking four coats to even out all the way and get rid of the nail line.  I should hate this polish.

I've had this hideous, awful, slightly ill-looking color on my nails now since Sunday (still chip-free!), and it has filled me with glee every time I see it.  I adore it in its silliness, its inability to fit in, the fact that it clashes with everything in my wardrobe except for the unseen stripes on a particularly bright pair of underwear.  It's like the nail equivalent of my purple-hair days in college (also known as "the days after I'd discovered fun hair dye but before I'd discovered the wonders and glories of teal, which all told looks much better with ginger hair than does purple").

But why like it?  Am I just being perverse?  Am I trying to find some way to express my "I don't think you'd fit in here" side just as I'm trying to figure out how to squeeze my insanity into a possibly corporate mold?  Am I trying to take something generally coded as feminine - nicely manicured nails - and change it into a statement of something other than beauty, thereby saying that polished nails don't have to be standard feminine beauty, can be androgynous, can, in fact, be ugly?  Am I trying to find something beautiful in the ugliness?  Is it some empty postmodern statement on consumerism?

No.  Honestly, it's probably for the lulz.  I just like the polish.

I do, however, have to wonder why on earth OPI thought "dirty-pollen-yellow-two-shades-away-from-sinus-infection-snot creme" would make a good polish color.  But then, I'm the weirdo who bought it.

As a side note:  http://stupidnailpolishnames.blogspot.com/ is pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment