Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Waiting Game

I had this dream this morning that I woke up from going AAAAAAAAAA.  In the dream, Brownie comes in from a run, flops on the couch with a glass of water, and answers his phone.  On the phone is Department Head from BFE University, the one we've been waiting to hear from.  The phone call is to tell Brownie that he has indeed gotten the position.  Brownie accepts.  Brownie is then given a selection of happy, bouncing, roughly 9 month old babies to choose from, because apparently in the unconscious recesses of my brain job = noisy, crying, pooping pile of responsibility that will occasionally coo.

At least it was different from the other dreams I've been having for the past week - those have all been tornado dreams.

I think I've gone a bit nuts.

The thing that bugs me with the dream I had this morning was that it was all and entirely about Brownie.  I was just a passive observer.  I suppose this is how most of my life feels at the moment - everything is on hold until we find out if he's gotten this bloody job and we can start planning the move, I can start applying for jobs, etc.  I keep hoping U of BFE will call this minute, or this minute, or this, just so that we *know* finally.  So that I can know for sure if my upcoming year involves finding a new job and career path, or if it involves being able to spend as much time as possible writing in an attempt to turn writing into a paycheck.  For now, however, we wait.

And in waiting, all I've managed to do today is some arm weights, take a shower, eat some hummus, scribble this out, wait for beer o'clock.

So I'll end with a highlight of the week (and leave the trip to NYC for anniversary number two for a later post):  after writing the post immediate prior to this, I hopped on facebook and looked up the one person I had managed to stay in contact with for a few years after Carleton.  I found her.  It's really, really awesome to be catching up with her.  So YAY! for that - that's been fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment